I Want a Raise

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 Fay 0 Comments

(by Dan Miller)

This message arrived early this morning as the thought for the day
from the Napoleon Hill Foundation.

"Those who do no more than they are paid for have no real basis for
requesting more pay because they are already getting all they deserve
to earn."

If you look around you, it will be apparent that there are two types
of people in the world: There are those who say, "When this company
decides to pay me what I'm worth, then I will do what they want me to
do." The second is the person who says, "I'm going to be the best I
can be because that's the kind of person I am. I also know that if I
consistently give more than expected, I will eventually be rewarded
for my efforts." It is easy to see that the positive person
contributes most to the organization. Yet, very few people are willing
to make the sacrifices necessary to achieve success. Make sure you're
a member of that group.

I know this may seem like a tough concept but the principle is pretty
simple. If you stand in front of the wood-stove of life and say, "Give
me some heat, and then I'll put some wood in" you're going to
experience a long, cold winter. In real life, work is required before
compensation is given.

Expecting a guaranteed salary with benefits before proving your worth
is an antiquated model. Be willing to prove your value with no
guarantee – it will dramatically expand your opportunities.
Expecting a raise because you've been there one more year is an
antiquated model. In today's workplace you get a raise when you add
more value.
Expecting a raise because your personal expenses have gone up is an
antiquated model. Your personal obligations have nothing to do with
your compensation.

Be clear on your value to an organization — and then negotiate a fair exchange.

0 comments: