It's a Matter of Personal "Standard"

Friday, December 12, 2008 Fay 0 Comments

Last night, my elderly brother, his wife, and his daughter (Abigail, 4 years old) picked me up to go to SW. Yap, we just have our Thursday fellowship, as usual hehehe...

In the middle of our way, Abigail talked in english to his mom. She asked, "Mommy, What is a shark? Is it like a whale?" Hearing that, I was just so amazed... she's just 4 years old! I imagined back then, at the same age, I couldn't speak nor understand English yet... Yea I know, Abi's school uses English as their primary language, so no wonder if the students naturally get used to speak in English...

Another insight, the same message, I got today... My colleague who didn't familiar with online forums, has just registered on our web's forum. When my other colleague told her to open her mail first to verify her new account, she said, "Ow... why is it so complicated?"

Suddenly I realized that it's just a matter of personal "standard"... If we think something is difficult, then it becomes difficult for us... Vice versa.

In Abigail's case, she identify English as her usual language... In her brain, English is just an alternative language to Indonesian (or Javanese hehehe...), but it doesnt sound more complicated... because she's used to speak English everyday. It's just a normal thing for her.

In my colleague's case, the normal (and usual) forum's registration procedure sounds so complicated, because this is her first time to join an online forum. But to me, the procedure is just a normal thing, because I've registered to many forums and they have the same procedure.

These cases are natural though... When you do something new for the first time (or being the one who do something while another people haven't done it yet), it feels more complicated, more difficult, or maybe more challenging. But the important thing to remember is... don't ever restrict your personal "standard". When you think something is possible, then it is possible for you. But if you think something is impossible for you to get, then it is impossible for you.

Being in charge of our thoughts and manage our mindset is not an easy task... I know... but we just have to do it again and again. Why? Because His truth is our manual guide to live as His beloved sons and daughters... It's a natural thing for us to live in it...

So... come on rise up!

0 comments: